What exactly is a Maker Startup Weekend?
Good question! It’s a full-scale experiment in possibility. Two of the biggest trends in innovation are on a collision course for March 2-4 at TechShop in San Francisco: Startup Weekend & Rapid Prototyping.
Like the traditional Startup Weekend, teams will form on Friday night and spend all weekend working on their projects. However, Maker Startup Weekend is adding an additional twist by allowing teams to create and prototype actual, physical products.
What Maker Startup Weekend attendees are getting:
- Access to over $750,000 worth of rapid prototyping equipment at TechShop. There will be TechShop staff on hand all weekend to help with any machine or tool that you’re not familiar with. If you can dream it, you can make it.
- Expert Mentorship. We’ve got an incredible group of people coming in to mentor teams for the weekend. TechShop’s Dream Coaches, Autodesk Design Experts, as well as legendary makers like Tim Anderson and Brian Jepson.
- Dale Dougherty! Dale Dougherty, Founder of MAKE, is coming in to speak on Friday Night. Dale’s enthusiasm for making is infectious and we’re excited to have him. Check out his TEDx talk on Making More Makers.
- Lots of great components and materials to play with. We’ve got an incredible line-up of sponsors: Inventables, SparkFun, Jameco, and Maker Shed. Each of the sponsors is providing a ton of materials that the groups will be able to use throughout the weekend. It’s going to be maker heaven!
- Maker Immersion Training. In addition to the tradition Startup Weekend format, we’ve added a full day (Friday) of training to get people up to speed with some of the incredible new rapid prototyping tools that are available to use at TechShop. We’ll be running classes on 3D printing, Laser Cutting, Autodesk 123D design programs, Arduino, and many more.
- Feedback. In addition to the mentors and TechShop staff, teams will have the opportunity to present their creations to a panel of judges on Sunday evening.
- Food! We’ll have breakfast, lunch and dinner Friday-Sunday.
Who should attend:
- Makers! Combining the tools at TechShop, the materials from our amazing sponsors, and the great mentors is going to make this weekend a total maker playground.
- New Makers! If you’ve been to Maker Faire or have always wanted to learn to 3D print, this event is for you. You’ll be able to take the classes on Friday and then try out your new skills all weekend under the helpful eye of the mentors and TechShop staff.
- Product Ideas. If you have an idea you’ve always wanted to create, then this weekend is the perfect opportunity to bring your product to life.
- Startup Enthusiasts.If you love startups, you’ve probably heard about the growing opportunities for businesses to create actual things. The original Square prototype was built at TechShop along with countless Kickstarter projects. This is the perfect opportunity to get your feet wet in the maker world.
Register for the event here. Hurry! The event is limited to the first 40 sign ups and tickets will go quickly.